Bail for fatal Navarre crash driver

Lorraine Nicholson outside court on Friday.
Lorraine Nicholson outside court on Friday.

A 64-year-old woman accused of killing four people in a crash at a Navarre intersection has fronted the Ballarat Magistrates Court.

Lorraine Nicholson sat in the front row of seats in the court room with her husband and son for the filing hearing on Friday morning.

It was the Stawell woman's first court appearance since the May 5 fatal crash that killed four friends - Elaine Middleton, 75, Claudia Jackson, 72, Tess Ely, 74 and Dianne Barr, 64.

They were returning home from a line dancing event when they were killed. 

Nicholson has been charged with 10 offences, including four counts of culpable driving causing death.

Charge sheets obtained by Fairfax Media state the accused failed to stop and give way at a stop sign at the intersection of Stawell-Avoca Road and Ararat-St Arnaud Road.

Nicholson has also been charged with speeding on the Stawell-Avoca Road with a detected speed of 89km/h in a 80km/h zone.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Aimee Heale said Nicholson's passport had to be surrendered to the court instead of the police.

The court was told the police already had her passport, but it would now be in the custody of the court.

Defence lawyer Andrew Madden said the hand-up brief would be serviced on his client on August 10, while a committal mention would be held on September 20.

A hand-up brief contains witness statements and an accused's record of interview.

Mr Madden made an application to suppress Nicholson's name from the media, saying she was from a small community and she was readily identifiable.

He said given the incident had already received public interest, it may prejudice the proper administration of justice.

Magistrate Gregory Robinson refused the application.

Nicholson, who remained silent during the hearing, was bailed to appear at the Ballarat Magistrates Court on September 20.

In other news, Koroit police have been busy with drunk and hoon drivers. 

A 41-year-old man from Mailors Flat has been disqualified from driving for 13 months after driving more than two times over the legal breath alcohol level. He was intercepted by police on Warrnambool-Caramut Road on May 11. 

A Koroit woman was intercepted by police in the Koroit township on Wednesday night. She recorded a breath alcohol level of 0.064 and was disqualified from driving for three months. 

A 24-year-old man was caught the same night travelling close to 40km/h over the speed limit. Police say the man was riding his motorcycle on the Princess Highway at Illowa at 137m/h. He was issued a penalty notice and his license was suspended for six months.