Occupants have lucky escape from bedroom fire

A powerboard overloaded with phone charges sparked a house fire in Warrnambool on Sunday, prompting a warning from firefighters.

Four people were home when the fire started in a bedroom of the Hyland Street property.

Station officer David Black, from the Warrnambool fire station, said firefighters were called to the house about 9.50am and the four occupants were evacuated from the heavily smoke-logged home. The four people escaped serious injury, but Ambulance Victoria said a woman in her 40s was assessed for smoke inhalation.

Fire crews were quickly able to contain the fire to the bedroom, but the house suffered smoke damage.

Mr Black said the fire was caused by a powerboard in the bedroom filled with phone chargers.

“It’s a timely reminder for people to make sure they don’t overload their powerboards and that powerboards are placed in a well-ventilated area,” he said.

A working smoke alarm alerted the occupants to the fire, and Mr Black said it was also an important warning for people to check their own alarms.

Powerboards can become dangerous when they are overloaded with appliances. Poor placement and dust build-up can also start a fire, the CFA warned.

Comments

Discuss "Occupants have lucky escape from bedroom fire"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.