​Christopher Oram convicted and fined $4500 for recklessly causing injury​

A ​SAVAGE beating involving drinking friends over the accused's man former partner has resulted in a $4500 fine.

Christopher John Oram, 52, of Pomborneit, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court to recklessly causing injury. 

Four charges were to be contested but instead Oram pleaded guilty and three charges were withdrawn by police including intentionally causing injury, theft and assault.

Oran claims his actions were excessive self-defence.

Police said that at 6.30pm on February 1 Oram went to the victim’s home​.

​T​hey had known each other for a number of years. 

There was discussion between them about the victim having contact with Oram’s former partner.

Oran left, later returned, there was further discussion about Oram’s former partner which led to a physical altercation.

During that altercation Oram grabbed the victim by the face and punched him several times to the head.

The victim suffered cuts to his mouth and left ear lobe. 

He was later transported to the Warrnambool Base Hospital for treatment to a fractured cheekbone and got stitches to the ear lobe.

The cheekbone required surgery that involved three permanent plates being inserted and the victim suffered nerve damage to his face.

In an interview conducted by police Oram said he had acted in self-defence.

Barrister Caitlin Dwyer conceded the injury was at the higher end of recklessly cause injury charge, but the plea was entered on the basis that her client’s actions were excessive self-defence.

She said Oram explained the victim threw the first punch, a wild swing to the head and he retaliated.

Magistrate Cynthia Toose said it was clear from Oram’s prior court appearances that he had a propensity for violence and he then tried to minimise his behaviour.

She said in the past he had pushed his ex-wife, taken a belt to his son to discipline him and “sorted out” an issue with his neighbour.

Ms Dwyer said that in 1993 Oram was jailed for three years, with a minimum 18 months to serve, on a charge of intentional causing serious injury. 

She said her client was in the company of another man who stabbed a victim for which the offender received a six-year prison term. 

The barrister submitted that Oram was willing to do an anger management course and his father had been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and given between three and six months to live. 

“It’s a mercy submission,“ she said.

“Mr Oram wants to spend as much time as possible with his father,” she said, explaining Oram was his father’s sole career.

Ms Dwyer requested a community corrections order be imposed in combination with a fine. 

The magistrate said she was prepared to impose a fine.

“At his age if he hasn’t learnt the lesson he never will,” she said.

“This was a very significant incident between you and your former friend.”

​The magistrate said she had read a victim impact statement and it was clear ​little could be done to repair the facial damage suffered by the victim, which would have an ongoing impact.

​"Your friendship soured in the worst possible way​," Ms Toose said, adding that much of Oram's criminal history involved violence.

​She said it was unclear if drinking influenced the way Oram behaved because that potential issue had not been addressed in the case.

The magistrate warned Oram if he came back to court for another offence involving violence he could expect to be imprisoned.