Police hunt two teens after Mitcham hit-run

An 18-year-old man will face Melbourne Magistrates Court on Saturday following a fatal hit-run in Melbourne's east that left a family mourning a "gentle giant" who was remembered as "a loving father, son, partner and friend".

The Seaford teenager and a 17-year-old from Mooroolbark were arrested on Friday morning over the hit-run which killed 33-year-old father Keith Stevens, who died when a stolen BMW X5 failed to give way at an intersection and ploughed into his motorbike.

Police are continuing to hunt for two alleged accomplices who remain at large.

The 18-year-old is facing charges of aggravated burglary and attempted aggravated burglary plus other offences.

A 17-year-old male was charged with culpable driving and numerous aggravated burglary offences. He has been remanded to a children's court at a later date.

Mr Steven's motorbike was struck by the BMW not far from his Mitcham home at the intersection of Glenburnie Road and Orient Avenue on Wednesday afternoon.

He was dragged under the car for 85 metres, before his motorbike burst into flames.

The collision happened about 4.15pm when a black BMW collided with a motorcycle at the intersection of Glenburnie Road and Orient Avenue.

Police allege the occupants of the car then committed an aggravated burglary at an address on Haideh Place, Scoresby.

Following the collision, neighbours rushed out to help the Scottish-born sheet metal worker. One resident used a hose to douse the motorbike, while others tipped buckets of water over the rider and then wrapped him in a blanket, a witness said.

Despite their efforts, Mr Steven's died in hospital on Thursday having suffered multiple fractures and burns to 50 per cent of his body.

His family have remembered him as a gentle giant whose positive spirit touched everyone he met.

"Keith was a loving father, son and partner and friend to many," his family said.

"His passing in the most tragic of circumstances has left us all with immense grief and overwhelming sadness.

"We will remain forever devastated by his loss."

The family also thanked staff at The Alfred hospital "who kept Keith sedated on life support till we could reach him to say our goodbyes".

After more than a day on the run, two teenagers - an 18-year-old from Seaford and a 17-year-old from Mooroolbark - were arrested on Friday morning over the hit-run.

Police are investigating what the youths had done prior to the crash, with the BMW stolen in late October, and other crimes linked to a similar car having since been reported.

"[The accident] pushed the motorcycle approximately 85 metres up the road. That friction has caused the motorcycle to catch fire," Detective Inspector Stuart McGregor told reporters on Thursday.

"This is a person who's just riding his motorcycle, going home."

The four youths are also wanted for stealing a Toyota Camry in Scoresby after the collision on Wednesday.

After dumping the BMW on East Link the gang jumped a barrier into Haideh Place, terrorising residents by trying to enter homes and steal cars.

They eventually stole a Toyota Camry which was later found burnt out in Narre Warren.

This story Police hunt two teens after Mitcham hit-run first appeared on The Age.