Tighter security tipped at football games

Australians could experience greater security at busy events such as the football as the government readies to release a report on the issue in the wake of the deadly Barcelona terrorist attacks.

With Australians among the scores of people killed and injured in the attacks, counter-terrorism coordinator Tony Sheehan has said "when we come into periods where we have major events like football finals, you will see very close co-operation between state police, the football codes, the owners and operators of the venue in respect to security of those crowds."

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull responded to the attacks by saying Australia was "resolute with Spain in the fight to to defeat terrorism". Foreign Minister Julie Bishop urged travellers in Spain to exercise caution and follow the directions of officials.

"We understand that the terrorist organisation ISIS has claimed responsibility. We condemn in the strongest possible terms these brutal and cowardly attacks," she said.

The warnings come as Victorians detailed their horrific experiences.

Alba Martinez Hermida???, a Spanish woman who lives in Torquay, told Fairfax Media she was 500 metres from the scene of the first terror, the Ramblas.

"Honestly I had those 45 seconds of terror when seeing lots of people running in panic towards me.

"I decided to remain inside a bar, calm down because I didn't see any imminent danger and help those who didn't feel well.

"Lots of anxiety in the streets.

"As soon as I could I locked myself up in my hotel following authorities' instructions and spend the rest of the day calmed but really sad.

"Barcelona is a beautiful global city, we all are sad. However, life goes on and I can already state this attack won't change the harmony, good vibes and strength of our democratic values.

Melbourne woman Alana Reader said on Facebook, "We were in Urban Outfitters right out of the front of where the incident happened.

"We were locked in the store, confused at first at what was going on and then all of a sudden we saw people running and screaming with genuine fear.

"We spent about 20 minutes after that lying down on the floor, with an Israeli family, British family and German girl.

"I've never been so terrified, it's a feeling I'll never be able to describe and hope I never experience again but so grateful I'm alive and here in beautiful Barcelona."

Her friend Julia Monaco told radio station 3AW that initial confusion gave way to panic.

"All of a sudden we were locked in the shop and confusion started ... nobody was really sure what was happening," Ms Monaco said.

"The music was still playing in the shop ... suddenly we could see that the police presence was rapidly increasing. Then we started seeing people looking incredibly distressed.

"The next second we knew, we were literally running for our lives to the very back of the store where we were told to get on the ground, away from the windows and just lay as flat as possible.

"We hid behind a clothing display that was about knee-high. There was considerable panic. There were two children who were screaming."

Ms Monaco insisted she wouldn't take her parents' advice and cut short her four-month European adventure.

"I feel a bit rattled ... but I don't feel like I want to go home ... I don't want to let 'them' win. I'll finish what I started," she told 3AW.

"[I] still want to travel the world, maybe there's something wrong with me but I'll keep going."

Another Melbourne resident, Michael Christou, was about 300 metres from the initial scene of the Las Ramblas carnage and was also nearby when eight people, including two Australians, were killed in the London Bridge van attack in June.

"I think it's following me but you kind of come over here [to Europe] and you expect it to happen but you don't let it stop you from doing what you want to do."

A Geelong man has told 3AW of his "sliding doors" moment. The man, "Barry", told the station that he had left the smaller exit of the railway station close to La Ramblas.

"Suddenly just waves of people starting running to us, screaming, and just terrified," he said.

"Police were taking control and virtually herding them across the street.

"I can't tell you the sense of mayhem that pervaded."

Barry said he hid in a hotel for about five hours, and was planning to return to Australia "as soon as possible".

And a man identified as from Brunswick told Channel 7 that he managed to just jump out of the way as it stormed past him at an estimated 80 km/h.

"It was horror, there was blood, women, people just screaming, crying," he said. "I witnessed what could only be described as complete catastrophe."

This story Tighter security tipped at football games first appeared on The Age.