Warning over gas appliances

THE death of a homeless Ballarat couple in a car last week has prompted a warning about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO).

Police found the deceased man, woman and their dog last Friday night. It is believed they were using a butane heater to keep warm while sleeping. 

Energy Safety director Paul Fearon has reminded people that gas appliances attached to portable gas cylinders should never be used indoors or in confined spaces. 

“This is a terrible tragedy and our thoughts go out to the families of this young couple,” Mr Fearon said.

“Gas heaters and appliances require plenty of ventilation to operate safely and should only be used according to manufacturer’s instructions. 

“The golden rule is if an appliance is attached to a portable gas bottle, don’t bring it inside. Without proper ventilation, CO can build up and quickly reach fatal levels. And it’s not just the risk of CO poisoning. If you bring those things inside you can also die from oxygen depletion.” 

As a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas, CO is a silent killer that can leak from faulty, unserviced gas heaters or accumulate if there is insufficient ventilation. 

 Gas heaters including wall units, decorative fireplaces, space heaters and central heating units should be serviced a minimum of every two years by a registered gasfitter.


Discuss "Warning over gas appliances"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.