Fire alert on faulty electrics

SOUTH-west residents are being urged to check for safety recalls following a number of house fires caused by faulty electrical items and wiring in the region over the past few months. 

CFA District 5 Operations Officer Henry Barton said people needed to be vigilant in checking for potential fire hazards in the home, including loose fittings, old wiring and poorly designed appliances.

 Mr Barton urged people to check the list of faulty goods on the government’s Product Safety Recall website, saying recalls advertised through newspapers were often overlooked.

 “Washing machines, dishwashers, fan heaters, isolator switches, computer batteries and powerboards are just some of the items which appear on the product safety recall website,” Mr Barton said.

 “It informs people of the state and sales outlets, defect and hazard details, safety information and how to contact the supplier for further action, as well as whether consumers need to immediately stop using them.”

 Mr Barton said simple steps such as inspecting fraying electrical cords and engaging an authorised repairer to fix faulty items would avoid some of the 4500 house fires in Victoria each year.

 Ensuring your home had working smoke alarms, regularly tested and cleaned, was also important, he said.

Details of recalled electrical and household products can be found at 


Discuss "Fire alert on faulty electrics"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.