Health warning issued on eggs

VICTORIA’S chief health officer has issued a warning over the use of under-cooked eggs in food after a salmonella outbreak in Torquay last month.

Up to 220 people contracted gastroenteritis after eating raw eggs supplied by Green Eggs farm at the Bottle of Milk restaurant. 

“Food and drinks containing raw and under-cooked eggs, including mayonnaise, aioli, eggnog and tiramisu have been associated in the past with salmonella outbreaks in Victoria,” Chief Health Officer, Dr Rosemary Lester said. 

“These foods can be a risk, especially for the elderly and people with lowered immunity, children and pregnant women.”

The Department of Environment & Primary Industries has restricted the sale of eggs from Western District supplier Green Eggs until cleaning and hygiene measures are met.

Dr Lester recommends cooking eggs all the way through to ensure that bacteria is killed.


Discuss "Health warning issued on eggs"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.