Homeless man jailed for 2005 offences

A HOMELESS man has been jailed for seven days after warrants dating back seven years caught up with him.

Troy Davies, 38, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty in Warrnambool Magistrates Court yesterday to make threat to kill, threat to inflict serious injury, resist arrest, refusal to state name and address, use and possess cannabis and three charges of failing to appear in court.

Police prosecutor, Sergeant Sandra Skilton, said that on December 10, 2008, Davies went to the Centrelink office in Portland and began swearing and abusing staff when a form wasn’t able to be processed.

The manager attempted to calm Davies, who continued to threaten staff. Davies had told the manager he’d been to psychological services and, when he killed him the police wouldn’t charge him and that he knew how to kill people.

In February 2005, Davies had been at a shop in Portland and became angry after the victim wouldn’t give him the contact details of a friend.

The next day Davies had returned to the shop and kept looking at the victim and stuck up his middle finger, punched his fist in a threatening manner. He had returned later that day and continued to intimidate and scare the victim.

On another occasion, he had sat across from the shop and when police arrived he refused to give his address.

He was arrested and attempted to pull his arms free. He had been bailed to July 20, 2005 but failed to appear in court. In October 2008, he was charged with possess and use cannabis and was bailed to appear in court on January, 2009 and failed to appear.

The court heard that between 1991 and 1995 Davies had convictions for dishonesty and assault convictions.

Defence counsel Jonathan Makary said Davies was born and grew up in Portland.

He said Davies worked until he was about 25 when he began using heroin quite heavily, at which point he began to hear voices. Mr Makary said that for the last 13 years Davies had been homeless. 

He said Davies was admitted to hospital three months ago and discharged himself because he didn’t like the medication he was being given for schizophrenia.

He said Davies had not been officially diagnosed with schizophrenia and he was no longer using intravenous drugs.

He said if released yesterday, the Salvation Army was going to purchase a train ticket to Melbourne and Davies would find accommodation at a shelter there.

Magistrate Jonathan Klestadt said Davies was not entitled to force his will on to other people or lose his temper if he didn’t get his own way.

On the charges of failing to appear, refusal to state name and address, resisting arrest, make threat to kill and threat to inflict serious injury, Davies was convicted and sentenced to seven days’ jail with two days already served. 

On the charges of use and possess cannabis he was convicted and discharged without further penalty.