CHIPS for breakfast proved a recipe for disaster with a home in Colac's Murray Street suffering damage valued at about $50,000 this morning.
Colac police Sergeant Murray Matthews said the shiftworker resident got up to go to work and put oil on a stove to cook chips for breakfast.
He said the oil caught fire and the man raised the alarm with emergency services at 2.15am.
"He's turned on the stove to cook chips for brekkie because he starts work in the early hours of the morning. The oil has caught fire in the kitchen and spread to the house wall," Sergeant Matthews said.
"The man called the Country Fire Authority and three units attended. It took about 10 minutes to extinguish the blaze. The chips were well done," he said.