TRANSPORT Minister Terry Mulder hopes a $2 million overtaking lane between Terang and Garvoc will help reduce the risk of head-on crashes.
The member for Polwarth yesterday told The Standard that the west-bound overtaking lane, near Terang, was the first of six planned between Colac and the South Australian border.
Mr Mulder said Regional Development Australia undertook a community survey last year and the location, west of Terang, was chosen by the community as a key priority.
“The 1.5-kilometre overtaking lane will improve overtaking opportunities between Terang and Warrnambool and will help disperse clusters of vehicles to improve traffic flow,” Mr Mulder said.
“As part of this project, VicRoads has also improved driveway access to properties on this stretch of the highway.
“With nearly 4000 vehicles using this stretch of road each day, including local, tourist and freight traffic, the overtaking lane will significantly improve traffic flow and safety.”
Mr Mulder said the Princes Highway between Geelong and Warrnambool had been the scene of a number of accidents over the years.
“This is the first passing lane opportunity between Terang and Warrnambool,” he said.
“Hopefully this will reduce the number of head-on crashes.”
The lane is the first of six planned projects, with the construction of two overtaking lanes between Yambuk and Port Fairy beginning late last month.
Another lane will be built west of Lyons, with the location of the remaining two lanes yet to be confirmed.
Mr Mulder said Colac Otway, Corangamite and Moyne shires would also receive $1 million for roads and bridges through Tuesday’s state budget.
The state government last year committed $15 million to construct six overtaking lanes on the Princes Highway between Colac and the South Australian border, to reduce the likelihood of high speed head-on crashes.