Today the results of the same-sex marriage vote will be revealed. Read more.
On Wednesday Australians will learn the result of the same-sex marriage poll.
Many believe it will be a positive result, but what will happen if the majority of Australians vote no? Read more.
A number of south-west residents have shared their views on same-sex marriage in the lead up to the result.
Dairy farmer Jason Smith just wants to be afforded the same rights as everyone else. He wants to be able to marry the person he loves. Read more.
Support for Jason on our Facebook page
Two south-west MPs believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. Read more.
A Koroit couple celebrated their love in a commitment ceremony earlier this year. “The only thing that was missing was that piece of paper that everyone else can have making it legally binding and legitimate,” they said. Read more.
Warrnambool City councillors passed a motion to support same-sex marriage. Read more.
FOR SAME-SEX MARRIAGE
The Equality Campaign believes every Australian deserves a fair go.
- Fairness and equality are at the heart of Australian society. We believe our laws should reflect these values of which we are most proud. It’s time for all Australians to be treated equally under the law, with the full rights of equal citizenship.
For love and commitment
- Marriage is about the commitment shared between two people who love each other and want a secure future together. LGBTI Australians should have the same opportunities for love, commitment and happiness as everyone else.
- This is the step we’re ready for: two-thirds of Australians as well as a majority of MPs agree. Marriage equality will not change anything for the vast majority of Australians, but will make a profound difference to the status and dignity of some.
AGAINST SAME-SEX MARRIAGE
The Australian Marriage Forum encouraged people to vote no.
Here are five reasons they encouraged people to vote no.
- Removing the Gender Equality requirement from Marriage.
- Enshrining Gender Theory into the Australian Marriage Act
- Removing a child's birthright to both a mother and father
- Endangering Religious Freedom and Freedom of Expression that Australians hold dear
- Compulsory 'Safe Schools' curriculum, including dangerous Gender Theory & Sexuality Education in all schools