Police appeal for information on missing Otway bushwalkers

UPDATE: Police have identified three men who called emergency services after becoming bogged in the Otways yesterday which sparked a police search.

Police were contacted by a staff member at a backpacker hostel who said she had seen three men return back to the accommodation facility about 6pm last night.

After hearing the reports of the search today she wondered whether it may be the men police were searching for so contacted authorities.

Police spoke to the Belgian trio today and confirmed one of them had called Triple Zero (000) after their car became bogged near Apollo Bay.

They managed to get themselves free and return back to their accommodation but did not inform emergency services.

The men are safe and well and have continued their journey today to South Australia.

SUNDAY: Police have appealed for information to help locate a father and son lost while bushwalking in the Otways on Sunday.

Police said a man called 000 about 1pm on Sunday saying he and his son were lost, but during the call his mobile phone battery died.

The man had been able to tell 000 that he believed they were about 30 minutes from Forrest Apollo Bay Road but were unable to find their way back to the road.

Police are seeking information on the identity of the two people and possible location they were heading.

If anyone knows the identity of the two people, or if they have since returned home, please contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000 or Geelong police on (03) 5225 3100.

A police media spokesman said police were still out in the Otways looking for the pair.