Alleged offender released on bail charged in relation to Corangamite crime wave

A MAN arrested early Thursday doing 160km/h in Terang has been charged with 20 offences relating to a Corangamite crime wave.

The 30-year-old man was charged with 20 dishonesty offences, including two Cobden ram raids, and three charges relating to driving.

He was released on bail to live near Nhill with strict bail conditions including an overnight curfew, and he is to reappear in Warrnambool Magistrates Court  during mid December.

Police said they intercepted the man travelling at 160km/h along the Princes Highway near Terang at 4.30am on Thursday as part of a targeted operation.

He was taken back to the Warrnambool police station, interviewed and charged with a number of offences, including speeding, unlicensed driving and driving an unregistered vehicle.

The dishonesty offences relate to burglaries, thefts and fraud-related charges, including ram raids at a Cobden supermarket and a Cobden electrical store.

Other charges relate to the theft of a ute in Mortlake and break-ins at the Noorat Gun Club, Mortlake Secondary College, Mortlake Post Office and Moyne Shire Council Mortlake depot as well as the theft of golf clubs in Cobden.

Detective Sergeant Chris Asenjo, of the Warrnambool police crime investigation unit, said a warrant was executed at a Terang address last week as part of the operation targeting the recent surge in Corangamite district crime.

He said Warrnambool detectives and Corangamite district police officers had coordinated efforts to resolve outstanding crimes.

"Making the arrest has been a very pleasing result for all the hard work put in by officers, particularly those in the Corangamite area," he said.

Detective Sergeant Asenjo requested anyone with information about Corangamite district crime to contact the Warrnambool CIU or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333000.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide