A CONTESTED hearing for a Portland man accused of armed robbery had to be adjourned for a week after a car load of prosecution witnesses failed to show up in court.
Robert James Balcke, 30, of Blackwood Court, did not appear in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court.
He has previously indicated he would plead not guilty to the charge of armed robbery.
The prosecution successfully applied for an adjournment until Thursday.
Magistrate Jonathan Klestadt also issued warrants for four witnesses to appear in court on that day.
The court was told that a designated driver for the witnesses had trouble with his daughter while the other men were unable to be contacted by police involved in the case.
Mr Balcke was charged with armed robbery at a pizza shop about 2pm on January 31.
He has been remanded in custody since then.
He did not apply for bail and was further remanded in custody until Thursday.
Police previously alleged that staff at Portland’s Domino’s pizza parlour were threatened with a machete during an armed robbery at the Percy Street outlet.
Police claim Mr Balcke was holding the weapon and ordered staff to hand over the store’s cash.
He was then alleged to have fled on a motorcycle with $175. No one was injured.
Defence counsel John Perry previously said that the identity of the offender was an issue.