TWO men killed in an accident on the mobile drilling rig stationed about 90 kilometres offshore from Warrnambool have been named.
Stena Drilling, operators of the mobile offshore drilling unit Stena Clyde, released a statement yesterday which said the two crew members who tragically died on Monday were Peter Meddens , 32, from Darwin and Barry Denholm , 60, from Lossiemouth, Scotland.
"Stena Drilling and Stena Drilling Australia would like once again to offer their heartfelt condolences to their families, friends and colleagues," the statement read.
"The company and its contractor are in close contact with both families and will continue to offer help and support as best we can at this difficult time. Both men will be sorely missed by all at Stena Drilling and Stena Drilling Australia."
The men were killed when they were hit by a large piece of metal that may have become dislodged from machinery.
On Wednesday The Age reported there had been three accidents involving the Stena Clyde drill in the past five years before Monday's accident . The Australian Workers Union said the 40-year-old drill had a history of malfunctioning.
AWU state secretary Cesar Melhem said he had ordered workers not to return to the site unless the union's concerns were dealt with.
Only a few of the almost 100 workers who were on the rig when the accident occurred remain, while police and the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority investigate. The Stena Clyde was built in 1976 and is the company's oldest operational drill. The drilling was being done on behalf of Origin.
with The Age