Kill threat accused faces health assessment

Joshua Stennett, 20, of Glenview Drive, Warrnambool, appeared in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court on two charges of threat to kill, possession of cannabis and unlawful assault relating to the accused’s mother.

Joshua Stennett, 20, of Glenview Drive, Warrnambool, appeared in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court on two charges of threat to kill, possession of cannabis and unlawful assault relating to the accused’s mother.

A MAN facing assault charges will have to undergo a mental health assessment after being released on bail. 

Joshua Stennett, 20, of Glenview Drive, Warrnambool, appeared in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court on two charges of threat to kill, possession of cannabis and unlawful assault relating to the accused’s mother. 

Police prosecutor Senior Con-stable Paul Harris told the court that on June 15 police carried out a check on Mr Stennett’s home. 

“The accused’s girlfriend opened the door with a black eye … she insisted she fell into a cupboard the week prior,” Senior Constable Harris said, adding that the woman would not discuss the issue with police. 

The court heard in June Mr Stennett called his mother, allegedly making threats that he would kill his girlfriend. 

“The accused rang his mother yelling and screaming and threatened to kill his girlfriend,” Senior Constable Harris said. 

He said police also witnessed the accused make alleged threats to his neighbours at his home on July 4. 

“As the accused was going inside he yelled references to his neighbours,” Senior Constable Harris said.  

“It was unclear but it was agreed by police that it was a threat to their safety.” 

The court heard Mr Stennett had a history of mental health problems and had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. 

Defence counsel Xavier Farrelly said his client had ceased taking his medication at the time of the offending. Mr Farrelly asked magistrate Peter Mellas to consider placing his client on a suspended sentence at a later date. 

“That puts him on a fine line,” Mr Farrelly said. 

But Mr Mellas bluntly turned down the suggestion. 

“It’s setting him up to fail,” Mr Mellas said.

He ordered Mr Stennett undergo a forensicare assessment and adjourned the matter until September 4. 

“Any breach of the order and you will go into custody and you won’t be released until September,” Mr Mellas told the accused. 

“If the past four days have been uncomfortable, start thinking about the next four months.” 

He also warned Mr Stennett to comply with the orders of his doctors.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop