A PROMISING young horticulturist has been offered a second chance by a Warrnambool magistrate after facing assault charges.
Tristan Krepp, 21, of Heyden Street, Warrnambool — part of Australia’s winning team at England’s Chelsea Flower Show last year — pleaded guilty in Warrnambool Magistrates Court on Tuesday on two charges of reckless assault.
The court heard Mr Krepp and his partner had been at a barbecue on March 8, followed by drinks at two bars before arriving at a Warrnambool nightclub where Mr Krepp was refused entry.
The victim — Mr Krepp’s partner — was allowed entry to the venue.
Police prosecutor Senior Constable Nathan Brown said Mr Krepp arrived at the victim’s address at 2.30am where he argued and forced his way into the home.
He pushed his partner and struck another male victim, giving him a split lip.
“Neither of the victims required medical treatment,” Senior Constable Brown said.
Defence counsel for Mr Krepp, Alex McCulloch, said his client was a promising horticulturist and had travelled the world, winning awards in his short career.
Mr McCulloch urged a conviction against Mr Krepp be avoided as it would impact his ability to travel in some countries.
Magistrate Andrew Capell acknowledged Mr Krepp was a young man whose “potential is extraordinary”.
He also noted the female victim in the matter had not signed her witness statement.
“I don’t want to convict you and hold you back from your future,” Mr Capell told the accused.
“You’re only 21. You’re still young. This fine is designed to hit you in the pocket so you think twice in the future.”
Mr Krepp was fined $1000 for the assault, without conviction.