FIREFIGHTERS scrambled to stop an Illowa shed fire spreading to adjacent buildings last night after gas cylinders exploded inside.
Witnesses saw the structure burst into flames about 6pm on Illowa Road.
One witness told The Standard flames were six metres (20 feet) high as thick fumes blanketed the area.
“We were coming over from Dennington and we saw this huge black mushroom,” the man said.
The blaze was visible as far away as the Princes Highway and Dennington.
“The fumes were really bad … the flames would have been 20 feet above the shed,” the witness said.
No one was injured in the fire.
Thirteen fire crews from Warrnambool, Port Fairy, Kirkstall, Koroit, Woodford, Winslow, Woolsthorpe and Toolong converged on to the property to save the house.
Warrnambool Fire Brigade operations officer Paul Marshall said the owners arrived home to find the shed fully engulfed by the blaze, calling the CFA and removing a car parked inside.
“There were several gas cylinders involved and there’s been an explosion inside the shed,” Mr Marshall said.
“It’s certainly not determined to be suspicious.”
The property is situated about 500 metres from the intersection of the Princes Highway at Illowa.
Mr Marshall said a heavy fuel load in the shed of electrical wires and plastic sent plumes of smoke into the night sky.
The roof of the large shed collapsed as crews were fighting the flames.
Fire investigators are expected to arrive at the property this morning.