Assault victim lucky to be alive

A MILDURA man is lucky to be alive after suffering severe lacerations when he was shoved into a window during an unprovoked attack in Warrnambool on Saturday night.

Detective Senior Constable Peter Wellington, of the Warrnambool police crime investigation unit, said the 42-year-old lost a lot of blood as a result of his injuries and underwent emergency surgery late Saturday night and surgery again yesterday.

“He’s in a stable condition. It was an absolutely unprovoked attack. The victim has no idea why he was assaulted,” he said.

Detective Senior Constable Wellington said the victim went to a Laverock Road address to socialise and have a drink with two other men.

“They were sitting watching the footy when four men entered the house and went completely mad,” he said.

“Three of the men attacked him, while another man guarded the door to make sure no one left. The two occupants of the house appear to have been threatened but did not suffer injuries.”

Detective Senior Constable Wellington said the victim suffered a laceration to his right elbow and right abdomen when he was thrown into, and then pulled out of, a window.

“We’re not sure if an implement was used to inflict the injuries or if they were caused by the jagged glass,” he said.

“One of the lacerations has pierced the man’s abdomen and he had emergency surgery last night and surgery again today. He’s now in a stable condition.”

The police officer said two of the attackers were described as being of Aboriginal appearance, as was the man who guarded the door. “The other attacker is described as a large man of Caucasian appearance with blond hair,” Detective Senior Constable Wellington said.

The assault happened at a Laverock Road home about 9.30pm on Saturday.

The victim then walked to Hoddle Street seeking assistance from someone he knew, but Detective Senior Constable Wellington said the man went to the wrong house. “He had lost a lot of blood, been hit around the head and was quite disorientated,” he said.

A woman then called an ambulance but decided to drive the man to hospital due to the man’s dire condition.

She flagged down the ambulance on the way and the man was treated, transferred to the ambulance and then taken to the Warrnambool Base Hospital.

Detective Senior Constable Wellington said police talked to the other two occupants of the house on Saturday night, crime scene officers attended yesterday and police requested anyone with information about the attack to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide