No bail for man facing fresh assault charges

A WARRNAMBOOL drug user given a chance to address his issues is back in custody after being charged with more offences.

Jayden Bourke, 19, of Japan Street, unsuccessfully applied for bail in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court on Monday. He is charged with five counts of breaching intervention orders, three of both unlawful assault and recklessly causing injury and two counts of intentionally causing injury.

Magistrate Peter Mellas said that despite an intervention order being in place it appeared that Bourke and a woman were still in some sort of relationship.

He said the police case appeared strong and denied Mr Bourke bail, remanding him in custody until March 31.

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Paul Harris said a woman took out an intervention order against Mr Bourke on January 10.

Police said they were called last Friday when an argument between the couple turned physical.

The woman was allegedly punched and elbowed to the face. Mr Bourke is also alleged to have sent her a number of text messages and threatened to kill her. 

Mr Bourke told the court he was happy to consent to an intervention order. He said his community corrections order was going well and he was waiting to enter a detoxification unit.

Mr Bourke last appeared in court on February 24 when he pleaded guilty to recklessly causing injury involving his girlfriend.

He was convicted and placed on a 12-month community corrections order with the condition he undertake treatment and rehabilitation for drug use. 

Mr Bourke told the court then he had memory loss and had been in trouble with police after suffering a knock to the head playing football, which led to him being taken to a Melbourne hospital.

Mr Mellas said it was time Bourke did something about his issues.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop