Flip, flop, flap! Dan reaches for the heavens

TODD Wigzell chases three major wingless sprints races each summer the Australian, South Australian and Victorian titles.

The national crown has eluded the Woodside, South Australia native the past two seasons but, as the saying goes, two out of three ain't bad.

He claimed the South Australian title on January 18 and followed up by winning the Victorian title at Premier Speedway on Saturday night.

The triumph marked the second consecutive year Wigzell, 32, has won both state titles and reinforced his standing in the class.

"We've had a tough run the last two Aussie titles. We've been fast and in positions to win and things have gone wrong on the last two laps," he said.

"After the Aussie title dramas all you can do is go home and regroup and set yourself on trying to win them two (state titles).

"They're the three races I target each year.

''I dream to win all three but two is great.

''I'm very happy to win one of them a year.

"It's unreal really.

''It's a competitive class. You've got to turn up and do a better job than 60 or 70 other cars. They're all trying to win too."

Wigzell, the grandson of the late sprintcar champion Bill Wigzell, defeated Portland's Daniel Storer and Geelong's Andy Hibbert over 25 laps.

The win, in the V88, came after he won two heat races and finished third in the other, earning him pole position for the A main.

Wigzell was almost the length of the straight ahead when James Wren and Logue came together in turn three-four with 10 laps to go.

The incident was the only stoppage of the A main.

Wigzell burst clear from the restart and was rarely under any pressure from then on.

"I knew I had to stick to my lines," he said.

''If I saw a nose I would've changed my line and seen if there was speed in the track anywhere else.

"We were coming around lap traffic so if you're leading (a stoppage) can work for you. If you can keep your line you don't have to worry about that.

Wigzell dismissed any comparisons with his famous grandfather, who won the second Grand Annual Sprintcar Classic in 1974.

"I'm a long way off that," he said.

''We're only running a budget section and a fairly low grade in speedway.''

Earlier in the night, Sam Wren took the B main ahead of Chris Halesworth, Adrian Densley and Troy Small.

The C main went to Tom Payet from Haydn Reeves, David Eggins and Marlin Walsh.

But the biggest drama was in heat eight, with the night of Australian champion Daniel Hartigan ending prematurely after a massive crash.

Mark Balcombe, Jye Saunders and Jody Baldwin were racing three wide when they came together and spun in turn three-four.

Hartigan was racing behind the trio and had nowhere to go but into and over Baldwin.

The Perth-based New Zealander was uninjured but cursed his luck after an eight-hour trip just to get to Warrnambool.

"Usually you can think I could've gone high or down low but I really couldn't do anything," he said.

Meanwhile, Ash Parkinson won the Traders' Derby for modified production cars, which doubled as round five of the Victorian series.

Parkinson defeated Leigh Bourke in a thrilling race. Parkinson ran the high line while Bourke persisted down low. Brody Christie was third.


Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide