Dealer spared more time in jail - for now

A WARRNAMBOOL drug trafficker who threatened family members and handled a large amount of stolen goods will not spend any more time behind bars.

Glenn John Moore, 40, previously of Silesia Court, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court this week to a range of offences.

Moore received a 12-month sentence with 150 days to serve — time he has already spent in custody.

He also has a three-month jail sentence hanging over his head for two years and will undertake a two-year community corrections order, with conditions he do 150 hours’ community work and complete treatment and assessments as required.

Victorian chief magistrate Peter Lauritsen said the cannabis trafficking involved a reasonably large amount of money and Moore had threatened family members in a series of violent incidents.

He said the defendant’s wife and mother suspected his drug use although there was also a suggestion of a psychological condition relating to an incident in 2010.

Police told the court that Moore trafficked cannabis between March and September last year.

Telephone and TAB account records indicated Moore withdrew $15,270 from his TAB account and he passed on his account details to seven people via text messages.

In August last year Moore broke into his parents’ home and stole his mother’s medication and other household items.

He then went to a neighbour’s home and threatened to torch their cars. Moore also threaten to put a wood splitter in his father’s head and to burn his parents’ caravan.

About the same time, Moore was at home with his wife and their three-year-old twins when they twice argued.

Those verbal disagreements became physical and Moore is alleged to have placed his hands around his wife’s throat, slapped her, said he hated her and threatened to kill her.

In one incident she hit him over the head with a coffee mug and Moore picked up a meat cleaver and said he would cut her into little pieces.

Police executed a search warrant and found 26 rifle cartridges, 710 grams of cannabis, some amphetamine, other drug paraphernalia and a substantial amount of medication including oxycontin and morphine.

Moore was arrested and has been held in custody until he pleaded guilty this week.

Police also alleged that in December 2012 and June last year there were two break-ins at the Portland water treatment plant where tools and equipment valued separately at $3035 and $25,746 were stolen.

Police seized more than 100 items of tools and equipment at Moore’s property, many of which were identified as being stolen from the plant.

Moore was employed at the plant during the second half of 2012.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide