CONTACT with water in the Cobden lake has been deemed hazardous by the Corangamite Shire Council until further notice.
The shire’s environment project officer Kristie King said sampling undertaken last month indicated a blue-green algae outbreak.
Ms King said the testing revealed high concentrations of the toxin-producing species anabaena.
“Council has erected warning signs at the lake and is advising the public to avoid all contact with water at the lake,” she said.
“Stock and pets should also be prevented from coming into contact with water.”
Blue-green algae can cause a range of health impacts including rashes, irritation of the respiratory system and nerve and liver damage.
Ms King said Cobden had previously experienced high levels of the toxin during the warmer months and warned residents to avoid the water.
She said council would continue to monitor the water quality at Cobden lake and provide up-to-date sampling results at the blue-green algae-current advice page on council’s website.
Water sampling at Lake Bullen Merri, near Camperdown, Deep Lake at Derrinallum and Lake Tooliorook near Lismore also completed in December indicated safe levels of blue-green algae.