SOUTH-WEST residents have the chance to tell the federal government how mobile phone coverage can be improved under a $100 million national program.
Liberal member for Wannon Dan Tehan said a discussion paper had been issued by the Department of Communications seeking community feedback.
“This is an opportunity for people in Wannon to give feedback and ensure our communities receive the funding they need to improve mobile phone reception,” he said.
“Inadequate mobile phone coverage is a significant concern for regional communities.
“Lives can literally depend on accessing mobile phone networks in emergencies, so expanding mobile phone coverage has clear benefits to public safety — as well as to the productive capacity of regional communities.”
An $80m project will boost coverage along major transport routes in small communities and areas prone to natural disasters and a $20 million black spot project will target areas with problems such as high demand in holiday periods. Submissions close on February 28.