DRIVER distraction, speeding and drink-driving will remain a focus for police after an initial analysis of Operation RAID.
RAID (Remove All Impaired Drivers) started in mid-November and ran until the end of last week.
Warrnambool police Senior Sergeant Shane Keogh said 29 drink-drivers were caught in the south-west from more than 20,000 preliminary breath tests (PBTs).
In the Southern Grampians and Glenelg council areas 19 drink-drivers were caught from 10,648 preliminary breath tests, plus 482 general offences. In the Warrnambool police district, covering Warrnambool, Moyne and Corangamite council areas, there were 10 drink-drivers intercepted from 10,457 PBTs and 490 general offences, making a total of 500 offences.
“Statewide there were 2609 mobile phone offences despite the penalties recently almost doubling to a $433 fine and four demerit points,” Senior Sergeant Keogh said.
“Offences involving distraction, speeding and drinking will remain a focus for police across the south-west in the coming summer holiday period.
“The allocation of extra resources to dedicated road traffic policing has highlighted a number of areas.
“I was quite surprised by the number of unlicensed drivers and high speed readings, between 10 and 25 km/h over the speed limit,” he said.
Throughout Victoria police detected 1274 alcohol and 328 drug offences during the 24-day campaign.
Victoria Police yesterday launched Operation Break Up, the second operation of the Summer Stay road enforcement campaign.
Operation Break Up is targeted at the “fatal five” road user behaviours, with particular attention to driver distraction and seatbelts.
The campaign runs until December 23.