THREE elaborate gardens in the Terang and Noorat area will be open to the public this weekend to raise money for Terang hospital.
The gardens include those at the 1908 Dalvui property at 431 Mackinnons Bridge Road, Noorat, which were laid out by master landscaper and designer of Melbourne’s Botanic Gardens, William Guilfoyle.
The Dalvui garden surrounds the impressive mansion commissioned by Niel Walter Black, part of the Black family that pioneered the Noorat area.
The Dalvui gardens have an English style and feature a spectacular lake, areas of intricate box hedges, rockeries and a hedged kitchen garden that is a peaceful retreat.
Also open to the public for the weekend is the garden created over the past 20 years by Terang and Mortlake Health Service auxiliary secretary Jeanette Eller and her husband Harold.
Their densely planted cottage garden at 26a Bolivar Street, Terang, has a wealth of trees, shrubs, perennials and self-sown plants, including a Chinese garden, a collection of bonsai plants and a fernery.
The third garden open is Birches on Bourkes, at 18 Bourkes Road, Terang.
The pretty cottage garden has been created by Judy and the late Ian Blackburn around a 1905 former parsonage. It is a romantic and peaceful place where a canopy of established trees, including silver birches, shelter formal and informal plantings of shrubs, perennials and roses full of spring colour.
The gardens will be open from 10am-4.30pm. Teas and lunches will be available at Dalvui.