PANMURE coach Simon O’Keefe says the club will consider appealing James Keane’s two-game cyber bullying suspension.
The two-time Bulldogs premiership ruckman will have a delayed start to the 2014 Warrnambool and District league season after an independent tribunal found him guilty on Wednesday night.
Keane was found guilty of unbecoming conduct, as he was deemed to have intentionally, recklessly or negligently breached AFL Victoria Country’s cyber policy after posting controversial comments about South Rovers’ Brad McCosh on Facebook following his J.A. Esam Medal win last month.
The league asked for an investigation into the incident.
Keane’s two-week ban brought his combined suspension tally to 14 weeks, two shy of deregistration.
O’Keefe said the Bulldogs would look at their options.
“We are really disappointed,” he said.
“We’ll go through the right channels to see if we have a leg to stand on to appeal it and see if we can help James.”
O’Keefe said the Bulldogs’ juniors had been versed on cyber bullying but the club’s senior players hadn’t.
“From the senior side I don’t think many clubs would talk about it,” he said.
The hearing before the independent tribunal, chaired by Terry O’Keefe, was held without notification to the media.
Warrnambool and District Football Netball League president Justin Balmer said the league took a strong stance against cyber bullying.
“It is a warning to all players,” he said yesterday.
“They have to be careful in what they say and what they commit to in social media.
“We are disappointed it happened.”
A Cobden under 18½ footballer was suspended for four weeks on Wednesday night for unbecoming conduct in that he “intentionally, recklessly or negligently made late contact” during an August 21 match against Port Fairy.
The Bombers teenager pleaded guilty.