UP to nine teenagers are expected to be charged with assault-related offences after an incident at a deb party near Terang in March.
Sergeant Heather Morris, of Cobden police, said yesterday a further three suspects were yet to be interviewed, with possible charges pending related to affray and assault-related offences.
The suspects are aged between 15 and 18 years old.
Three hundred youths were invited to the private party at a property at Ecklin, south of Terang, on March 23.
It was held the night after the Mercy Regional College debutante ball, but was not sanctioned by the school.
The charges relate to the alleged assault of a man who was acting as a supervising adult at the party.
The Standard has previously reported the victim suffered fractures to his cheekbone and ribs after stepping in to break up a fight between drunk teenagers.
Sergeant Morris said she had taken statements from about 30 people and talked to more than 50 potential witnesses.
She hopes to complete what she described as a long and protracted investigation in the next couple of weeks.
Sergeant Morris said while 300 people were invited to the party, more than that attended and it was likely that up to nine young people would be charged with offences.
Witnesses previously told The Standard the alleged victim was punched and kicked by a number of youths.
Sergeant Morris yesterday again requested that anyone with relevant information contact police.
Party DJ Cody Dickson previously said he saw three fights break out in front of him after stopping the music about 10.30pm to 11pm when his equipment was damaged.
“A fight broke out and an adult who was helping protect my gear stepped in to stop the fight,” he said.
“They turned on him.
“He was really outnumbered. There were up to 10 people hitting him.”