A PETITION containing the signatures of 115 people opposed to the construction of a National Broadband Network (NBN) hub at Bushfield was lodged with Warrnambool City Council.
But the petition doesn’t indicate the reasons residents are against the fixed wireless facility being built at Bushfield Recreation Reserve.
In accordance with local laws, the councillors acknowledged receiving the petition but no motions can be made regarding it until the next council meeting, which is on September 30.
Council’s director of city growth Bill Millard said a planning application had been lodged to build the hub at Bushfield Recreation Reserve and the petition handed to council staff at a mediation meeting.
“It doesn’t identify the reasons for the petition, it’s just saying they’re against it and that’s fair,” Mr Millard said.
Cr Jacinta Ermacora said that from a planning perspective, a reason for the objection might need to be given for the petition to carry any weight.
Mayor Michael Neoh questioned whether the change in federal government would mean the NBN hub would not be built.
Mr Millard said there had been no request from the new government to withdraw the planning proposal application yet.
The Coalition campaigned during the election for a cheaper NBN that uses existing infrastructure.