A Warrnambool man yesterday delivered a written public apology for stealing a replica rifle from the Warrnambool war memorial as police continue to look for a second culprit.
The man, aged in his 30s, handed himself into police last week after CCTV footage of the theft was released.
He apologised in person to Warrnambool RSL president John Miles, admitting it was a buck’s party prank gone wrong.
Warrnambool police said investigations were continuing into a second person, seen wearing a hat in CCTV images.
Sergeant Chris Asenjo said no decision would be made on charges until the identity of the second man was discovered.
“There is still a few stones to turn,” he said. “We’re looking for the guy in the hat.”
In a letter received by The Standard yesterday, signed Christian, the man said he offered his sincerest apologies to the RSL, RSL members, their families and the people of Warrnambool.
“I realise I have shown great disrespect and thoughtlessness,” the letter states.
“I was too embarrassed to approach anyone at the RSL when I returned the rifle, therefore I placed it on the bench outside the history house.”
Warrnambool RSL president John Miles said he wanted the man to make a public apology to the veterans in The Standard.
He said he’d seen the letter and was happy with it.
“He’s done the right thing,” Mr Miles said.
The rifle was stolen at 1.15am on Sunday, March 3. It was found nearby at History House in Gilles Street.
Mr Miles said a CCTV camera had captured the efforts of the man and another tugging at the rifle on Sunday morning and it would help to capture those involved in any further vandalism.
The replica rifle has been vandalised up to six times and Mr Miles said RSL members were sick of the attacks.
The attacks showed a lack of respect for the war service of local people and members took the incidents personally, he said.