FANS of the defunct Warrnambool diving pool have just two weeks to call for it to be included in a potential revamp of the AquaZone complex.
Warrnambool City Council’s draft strategy, which looks at options for modernising the swimming complex — first opened 60 years ago — closes for public comment on February 15.
Late last week more than 70 submissions had been received, but city council delegate on the strategy committee, Cr Peter Sycopoulis, said there would be more who had an opinion on the facility.
“For years, and especially in the recent election lead-up, I had many people approach me about getting the diving pool reopened,” he said yesterday.
“Now is their opportunity to get their point of view across. If people want the diving boards reinstated they need to tell us, otherwise it won’t be included in the final proposal.”
The diving pool was closed in 2005.
The strategy lists four main options, ranging from $2 million to $12.5m, canvassing various improvements from revitalisation of the 50-metre outdoor pool through to a major expansion and water play park.
Cr Sycopoulis said residents should not feel bound just by the four options.
The strategy and submission forms are available on the council’s website, from the council offices and AquaZone.